Poor nutrition, stress, lack of sleep and expose to toxic chemicals can all lead to a compromised immune system. When the immune system is weakened, allergies, chronic sinus congestion, frequent colds, and general malaise can result. Acupuncture can increase white blood cell count and natural killer cell activity to boost our immunity. Chinese herbs and or nutritional supplements can also be prescribed to reduce nasal congestion, dry excessive mucus, and heal a sore throat.
TCM also thinks about the level of entry of allergens:
- Sinus – chronic drip, sneezing, tightness, congestion, chronic infection
- Eyes – Redness, dryness, itching, and chronic tearing
- Ears – dampness, vertigo, chronic infection
- Throat – sore or itchy throat
- Lungs – cough, wheezing, difficulty breathing
- Digestive System – food allergies, indigestion, etc
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs have a predictable effect on all of these qualities and levels and can be used to quickly relieve allergy symptoms. Your treatment will be based on TCM pattern diagnosis. You should feel relief quickly, though full relief may take some time depending on degree and chronicity of symptoms. Plan on 3-6 treatments for most conditions.